uima-user mailing list archives

From Michael Baessler <...@michael-baessler.de>
Subject Re: PEAR metadata/setenv.txt - do env. vars get set automatically?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:53:37 GMT
Eric Riebling wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
> - contents edited -
>
>> The UCR repository code might do something with the environmental
>> variable information from the PEAR prior to doing any install or running
>> of the PEAR - Eric - can you say if it does?
>

> The repository doesn't do anything with the PEAR environment variables
> beyond this:
> It does perform edits to setenv.txt to localize paths for setting the
> CLASSPATH prior to calling UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine().
> (or produceCasConsumer(), produceCollectionReader() etc. as appropriate)
>
> Using System.getProperty(name) instead of System.getenv(name): great idea!
>
> -er

I don't konw how your PEAR installation in your repository works, but you don't have to edit
setenv.txt and update any classpath settings. There is a easier way.

There is a PEAR installer API that can install and verify/run PEAR packages. Please refer
for
details and for an example to:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.pear.installing_pear_using_API

Additionally during the PEAR installation, independent of how (API, UI) you installed the
PEAR, a
PEAR package descriptor is generated automatically. This generated descriptor can be used
similar to
an AE descriptor. When using this descriptor, you don't have to take care about classpath,
datapath
and "environemnt" variables (System.getProperty(name)). The UIMA framework will take care
of that.
For details about the PEAR package descriptor please refer to:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.pear.specifier

Hope that helps.

-- Michael