uima-user mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CPE to AS Transition ... Porting processingUnitThreadCount
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:28:28 GMT
Charles,

Sounds like you are describing the "figure 4" scenario shown on
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/doc-uimaas-what.html
As yet there is no distributed life cycle management facility for services
in the UIMA AS package, so it is up to you to manage the launch of scaled
out service instances.

The numInstance parameter for a service can be applied to any
"single-threaded" UIMA analysis engine. A primitive UIMA component is
considered single-threaded. A UIMA aggregate by default is deployed by UIMA
AS single threaded, unless async=true is explicitly requested, or async is
implicitly requested by adding UIMA AS properties to one of the delegates
(such as being remote, or replicated, or having error handling).

For each of the numInstance's, the single-threaded AE will be instantiated
in the same process and the initialize method called. Each instance will
have a JMS listener connected to the same service request queue. Replicating
AE instances in the same process require user code to be thread-safe with
respect to it's shared static or other singleton objects.

Regards,
Eddie