uima-user mailing list archives

From Charles Proefrock <chas....@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: CPE to AS Transition ... Porting processingUnitThreadCount
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:54:32 GMT
I've reviewed Fig. 4 and Fig. 3.  Our system seems closer to Fig. 3 (asingle Collection Reader
(CR) with CasPool size X used to push documents to X services).Assuming the "Service Instance"
is an aggregate (AG) with multiple AEsteps A..D, we are extending Fig. 3 with another level
of remote AE forone of the steps: Machine0:  Broker + RunRemoteAsyncAE + 2 AG Service InstancesMachine1:
 RemoteStepB_AE InstanceMachine2:  RemoteStepB_AE Instance The AG descriptor is configured
with A..D in-line, and the AG deploymentdescriptor has a remote 'B' override, possibly with
error handlingcontrols, etc. CR  --- || --2-- A	                       B --- || --2-- remote
'B'	                       C	                       D (consumer) If I'm following your guidance,
we should not use numInstances in the AGdeployment descriptor because we have decided to remote
'B'. Instead weneed to deploy the 2 AG Service Instances via our own launch mechanism(as either
multiple -d flags on RunRemoteAsyncAE, or independently intheir own processes). Let me know
if I'm on track.
- Charles

Subject: Re: CPE to AS Transition ... Porting processingUnitThreadCount> > Charles,>
> Sounds like you are describing the "figure 4" scenario shown on> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/doc-uimaas-what.html>
As yet there is no distributed life cycle management facility for services> in the UIMA
AS package, so it is up to you to manage the launch of scaled> out service instances.>
> The numInstance parameter for a service can be applied to any> "single-threaded" UIMA
analysis engine. A primitive UIMA component is> considered single-threaded. A UIMA aggregate
by default is deployed by UIMA> AS single threaded, unless async=true is explicitly requested,
or async is> implicitly requested by adding UIMA AS properties to one of the delegates>
(such as being remote, or replicated, or having error handling).> > For each of the
numInstance's, the single-threaded AE will be instantiated> in the same process and the
initialize method called. Each instance will> have a JMS listener connected to the same
service request queue. Replicating> AE instances in the same process require user code
to be thread-safe with> respect to it's shared static or other singleton objects.> >
Regards,> Eddie> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Charles Proefrock <chas.pro@hotmail.com>wrote:>
> > We've previously run our CPE with a single CollectionReader and 2> > processing
units talking to two remote Vinci services. All of the stages> > are relatively quick
except for the remotes, so running multiple threads in> > the same jvm on the same processor
is sufficient for the CPE host and in> > theory we would want to increase the processingUnitThreadCount
to X over> > time. As we transition to the AS architecture, it is clear that the main
CPE> > sequence is declared as an aggregate, and that an instance of the aggregate>
> is deployed (in the examples, via the -d flag of runRemoteAsyncAE). There> > are
also numInstance elements that can be declared in the deploy descriptor,> > but they
are qualified as only working for primitives and/or synchronous AEs> > ??> >>
> Simply ... if we want to have a single CollectionReader that services X> > pipelines,
returning all CASes to the same Listener ... what is the> > deployment approach?>
Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the> > go.> > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093182mrt/direct/01/