uima-user mailing list archives

From Charles Proefrock <chas....@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Basic UIMA-AS: RemoteAnalysisEngine override in deploy descriptor?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 01:19:35 GMT

The sample UIMA-AS deployment was operating just as our setup specified it should.  In our
initial haste to implements our own AS configuration, we simply removed the CollectionReader
component and added the RoomNumberAnnotator.xml remote call into our Deploy_MeetingFinderAggregateNOCR.xml
which, in addition to that, was also calling MeetingDetectorTAE.xml, which in turn locally
called RoomNumberAnnotator (for the second time).

Once we were certain our understanding of 'remote' in the deploy descriptor was correct, it
took little time to dig into what was happening.

Thanks,

Charles

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 09:17:36 -0400> From: eaepstein@gmail.com> To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Basic UIMA-AS: RemoteAnalysisEngine override in deploy descriptor?> > Hi
Charles,> > Yes, when a delegate is declared to be remote it is not deployed colocated>
within an aggregate, and the aggregate controller will send requests to the> specified
queue. From what you say, the remote service 'B' is getting> process requests for each
CAS.> > Perhaps one of the other colocated delegates is printing the message to>
stdout? At any rate, please turn up the UIMA logging level to FINEST for the> runRemoteAsyncAE
process. This will trace the activities for all CASes in> the aggregate. This log is more
difficult to follow when multiple CASes are> being processed by the aggregate at the same
time; to simplify the trace,> limit the casPool size for the aggregate to 1.> > Eddie>
objective:> >> > (1) Define an Aggregate with 4 stages ('A', 'B', 'C', 'D')>
> (2) Remote stage 'B' via use of the RemoteAnalysisEngine element of the> > deployment
descriptor, with name/key of 'B'.> >> > We have put timing messages on stdout
in stage B, so we can see that it is> > running on each CAS.> >> > We are
running the sample AS application with the Aggregate (1) deployed> > with the -d flag.>
> We are running the remote 'B' in it's own cmd session on the same computer;> >
broker in another cmd session.> >> > When we run this setup we see the stdout
timing messages for each CAS> > displayed in BOTH the main AS application's window and
in remote 'B's> > window. This implies/indicates that 'B' is running twice, once in
the> > aggregate and once in the remote.> >> > Our interpretation of the
RemoteAnalysisEngine element of the deployment> > descriptor is that it should override
the aggregate's in-line definition of> > 'B' with the definition in the deployment descriptor
and send all CAS's to> > remotes.> >> > Are we understanding the architecture
correctly?> > Why are we seeing 'B' run twice on each CAS (embedded and remote)?>