uima-user mailing list archives

From Charles Proefrock <chas....@hotmail.com>
Subject Basic UIMA-AS: RemoteAnalysisEngine override in deploy descriptor?
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:27:56 GMT

We're working with the sample UIMA-AS material with the following objective:

(1) Define an Aggregate with 4 stages  ('A', 'B', 'C', 'D')
(2) Remote stage 'B' via use of the RemoteAnalysisEngine element of the deployment descriptor,
with name/key of 'B'.

We have put timing messages on stdout in stage B, so we can see that it is running on each
CAS.

We are running the sample AS application with the Aggregate (1) deployed with the -d flag.
We are running the remote 'B' in it's own cmd session on the same computer; broker in another
cmd session.

When we run this setup we see the stdout timing messages for each CAS displayed in BOTH the
main AS application's window and in remote 'B's window.  This implies/indicates that 'B' is
running twice, once in the aggregate and once in the remote.

Our interpretation of the RemoteAnalysisEngine element of the deployment descriptor is that
it should override the aggregate's in-line definition of 'B' with the definition in the deployment
descriptor and send all CAS's to remotes.

Are we understanding the architecture correctly?
Why are we seeing 'B' run twice on each CAS (embedded and remote)?

Thanks,

- Charles