uima-user mailing list archives

From "Roberto Franchini" <ro.franch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spring factoryBean for producing AE: processors, consumer, readers and PEAR
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:22:33 GMT
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:34 AM, greg@holmberg.name
<holmberg2066@comcast.net> wrote:
> Roberto--
>

> I, for one, am interested.  I would like to use Spring with UIMA.

good:)

> Something I haven't explored, and wonder how it would compare to the technique below,
is to combine IBM's support for OSGi in UIMA (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/dmeuima)
with Spring's support for OSGi (http://springframework.org/node/704) and an OSGi implementation
(http://felix.apache.org).

Well, OSGi is a complete different beast :) Maybe my solution could
help to develop an OSGi bundle.
I didn't work with OSGi directcly, but as an Eclipse user I know all
the benefitfs: the same plugin (aka buldles) with different version
and different libs cna be depoyed and referenced by other, whitout
confllicts . The SpringSourcrApplicationPlatform (aka S2AP) is a good
example of waht can be done with OSGi on the server side.

> Or is that just making things unnecessarily complicated?  What would be the benefits
compared to using PEAR files?  Would I get a separate classloader for each annotator, so I
won't have class version collisions (such as with XML parsers)?

This is one of the benefit. You can have different version of the same
library in each bundle. So, for example, Bundle A can use xerces 2.6
and bundle B can use xerces 2.7. Or maybe the xerces itself can be
deployed as a bundle, and different version of the same bundle can
cohesits.

Then hot deployment: you can deploy a bundle on a OSGi framework
(apache felix, eclipse equinox..) at runtime, switch on and off
buldles and so on.

But, maybe we are going OT :)

Regards,
Roberto