uima-user mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building UIMA C++ on Linux
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:20:50 GMT

> I've had no problems building UIMA C++ for Windows in the past using the
> source obtained from UIMA SVN on Apache.

That's good news :)

> However I am unable to build UIMA C++ for Linux.  The documentation does
> not seem to be up-to-date: file
> README.4src in uimacpp/src
>

> Problem one.
>
> "The simplest way to resolve these dependencies is to use the copies
> included in the Apache UIMA C++ runtime package."

Even if you did have a binary package, README.4src did change recently,
removing the comment about "the simplest way...".

Even when managing to build the dependencies myself i.e. APR, ICU,
> XERCES and setting
> up environmental parameters APR_HOME, ICU_HOME, and XERCES_HOME
>
> make -f Makefile.unix install
>
> Continually says "cannot find APR headers".
>
> Can anyone please point me to idiot proof instructions for building UIMA
> C++ on Linux.

Unlike Windows, after building each dependent library on Linux, a "make
install" must be run. The default install target for APR, ICU and Xerces is
/usr/local. If it is not possible or desirable to install these things
there, use the following syntax:

DESTDIR=my_writable_directory make install

This will put the install images in my_writable_directory/usr/local.
Assuming this is APR, then

export APR_HOME = my_writable_directory/usr/local

Eddie