uima-user mailing list archives

From "Steven Bethard" <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Diagnosing a Pattern StackOverflowError
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:33:06 GMT
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Steven Bethard
<steven.bethard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Steven Bethard
>  <steven.bethard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Apr 13, 2008 9:58:31 AM
>  > org.apache.uima.collection.impl.cpm.engine.CPMThreadGroup process
>  > SEVERE: The CPM thread group caught the following unhandled error:
>  > java.lang.StackOverflowError (Thread Name: [Procesing Pipeline#1
>  > Thread]::)
>  > java.lang.StackOverflowError
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Curly.match1(Pattern.java:4258)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Curly.match(Pattern.java:4207)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Pattern.java:4578)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Pattern.java:4705)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Pattern.java:4637)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Pattern.java:4637)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Single.match(Pattern.java:3314)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Branch.match(Pattern.java:4538)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Pattern.java:4578)
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Curly.match1(Pattern.java:4258)
>  >        ...
>  >        at java.util.regex.Pattern$Single.match(Pattern.java:3314)
>

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Eddie Epstein <eaepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > *StackOverflowError *is "thrown when a stack overflow occurs because an
>  >  application recurses too deeply." Maybe the exception catcher is looping.
>
>  Well, it's clearly recursing on java.util.regex.Pattern. But I don't
>  know who is using Pattern or where.
>
>  >  Check in uima.log file for the run. If there is none, make sure UIMA_HOME is
>  >  defined, and if still no log, modify $UIMA_HOME/config/Logger.properties to
>  >  get more logging; try Fine or Finest.
>
>  I don't see any uima.log file generated anywhere. I'm running this
>  through Eclipse, and I tried setting the UIMA_HOME variable, supplying
>  -Djava.util.logging.config.file=myfile as a VM argument, and a few
>  other things, but I've never seen any logging output except that
>  printed to the console (as I showed in my last email). Is there
>  something else I have to do in Eclipse to get a log file?

Nevermind, I figured this out. I set
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=$UIMA_HOME/config/Logger.properties
and then I got a log file. The FINE messages then showed me that the
last AnalysisEngine running before the StackOverflowError was our
SentenceSegmenter module:

4/13/08 3:30:12 PM - 16:
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.process:
FINE: AnalysisEngine SentenceSegmenter process begin

Thanks for the help!  I should be able to debug the problem from here.

Steve
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy