uima-user mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mixing C++ and Java annotators
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 02:26:17 GMT
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Johansson, Justin (Contractor) <
Justin.Johansson@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:

> Can anyone say if it is currently possibly to add a C++ annotator into a
> UIMA Java pipeline.

> I have a dummy annotator written in C++ which works within a UIMA C++
> framework.
>
> Also when inserted into a UIMA Java framework by specifying C++ in the
> AE descriptor together with the path to the AE DLL,
> the pipeline runs and calls to the C++ initialize and process methods
> can be seen.  So far so good.
>
> However when trying to call any methods on the parameters passed to
> initialize or process rather ugly access violation
> exceptions result.

Yes this all works. Did you try following the steps on "Verifying Your
Installation" in $UIMACPP_HOME/README just to see if the sample code works?

Is it valid to add a C++ annotator into essentially a Java-based UIMA
> pipeline?  I imagine that the UIMA would aspire to allow this but
> perhaps given the current state of Apache UIMA is it not possible?
>
> Can the list enlighten me on the general state of Apache UIMA C++ in any
> case or is this still early days?

Apache uimacpp has not changed much in the last 9-12 months. It has always
been interoperable with Apache uimaj, although there was one Java change in
serialization of the CAS definition that required changes on the C++ side to
match. The biggest change to uimacpp over this period was to add support for
XMI serialization and create a native C++ service wrapper based on XMI and
the JMS messaging of UIMA-AS.

There will be a 2.2.2 uimacpp release shortly, using vc8 for the Windows
binary. We have no experience with newer versions of msvc, nor with
64-builds on Windows.

Eddie