uima-user mailing list archives

From "Johansson, Justin (Contractor)" <Justin.Johans...@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject RE: Mixing C++ and Java annotators
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 03:09:55 GMT
Thanks Eddie for that.

I've just done two things and the problem has gone away so which of the
two things fixed the problem I do not yet know.

1. Checked out latest UIMACPP from Apache SVN and build the binaries.
The last version I had was about 2 months old.
2. Pointed the paths to the Release version as opposed to the Debug
version of the bin.
All's well after doing both of those things.

I was about to go through "Verifying Your Installation" prior to this
but now no need to.

Is there an issue with using Debug binaries as opposed to Release?  If
so how does one configure for Debug binaries?

BTW.  I'm using Visual Studio 2005.

Thanks
Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Epstein [mailto:eaepstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 4 April 2008 12:56
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Mixing C++ and Java annotators

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Johansson, Justin (Contractor) <
Justin.Johansson@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:

> Can anyone say if it is currently possibly to add a C++ annotator into

> a UIMA Java pipeline.

> I have a dummy annotator written in C++ which works within a UIMA C++
> framework.
>
> Also when inserted into a UIMA Java framework by specifying C++ in the

> AE descriptor together with the path to the AE DLL, the pipeline runs
> and calls to the C++ initialize and process methods can be seen.  So
> far so good.
>
> However when trying to call any methods on the parameters passed to
> initialize or process rather ugly access violation exceptions result.

Yes this all works. Did you try following the steps on "Verifying Your
Installation" in $UIMACPP_HOME/README just to see if the sample code
works?

Is it valid to add a C++ annotator into essentially a Java-based UIMA
> pipeline?  I imagine that the UIMA would aspire to allow this but
> perhaps given the current state of Apache UIMA is it not possible?
>
> Can the list enlighten me on the general state of Apache UIMA C++ in
any
> case or is this still early days?

Apache uimacpp has not changed much in the last 9-12 months. It has
always
been interoperable with Apache uimaj, although there was one Java change
in
serialization of the CAS definition that required changes on the C++
side to
match. The biggest change to uimacpp over this period was to add support
for
XMI serialization and create a native C++ service wrapper based on XMI
and
the JMS messaging of UIMA-AS.

There will be a 2.2.2 uimacpp release shortly, using vc8 for the Windows
binary. We have no experience with newer versions of msvc, nor with
64-builds on Windows.

Eddie

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject
to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email
in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.