uima-user mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Server Socket Timeout Woes
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:44:50 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Steve Suppe <ssuppe@llnl.gov> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
>  I think you are 100% right here.  I managed to roll back to my patched
> version of UIMA 2.1.0.  In this one, I implemented the pool of threads as
> automatically expandable.  This seemed to solve all of our problems, and
> things are chugging away very happily now.
>
>  I know this is the user group, but is this something I should look to
> contributing somehow?

Definitely - you could open a JIRA issue and attach a patch.  We
should probably think a bit about how this thread pool was supposed to
work, though.  My first thought is that the clients would round-robin
over the available threads, and each thread would be used for only one
request and would then be relinquished back into the pool.  But
instead, it looks like the client holds onto a thread for the entire
time that client is connected, which doesn't make a whole lot of
sense.  If the thread pool worked in a more sensible way, it might not
need to be expandable.

  -Adam