uima-user mailing list archives

From Charles Proefrock <cwp1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Distributing parameters to remote AEs
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 23:07:04 GMT
I would like to be able to pass runtime parameters from my main application to distributed
AEs.  Some parameters might be one-time overrides while others may be per-CAS. I'm not sure
if using a Feature Structure is the right approach.

For example, the pipeline may have a database connection string parameter, and the user will
be asked for the username and password to use along the way.  Passing these parameters as
FS with each CAS would guarantee that any distributed AE would see them, but passwords sent
this way may be exposed via a CAS/XMI writer.  Other parameters, such as a run mode for the
pipeline (debug, logging level, dump intermediate results, etc.) are also candidates for distributing
from the main pipeline controller (e.g., SimpleRunCPE) to remote AEs.

Besides the FS collection is there another mechanism for distributing parameters?  I've read
enough to know that extending the DocumentAnnotation is not recommended for JCas.

Thanks!

Chuck