uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: View data
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:12:41 GMT
Hi Tim,

Cawley, Tim wrote:
> I can think of two use cases.
>
> 1. Translation of a document that contains multiple languages.
> I need to use different translation annotators on different parts of a
> document. I would like each translation annotator to append its
> translations and annotations to the same results view.
>
> At the moment there is a proliferation of views for each translation
> annotator followed by an annoying process of stitching them back
> together in a result view.

That's exactly what views are supposed to be good for.
Any way views could be improved in your opinion?

> 2. Keeping a log of processing with the data.
> I would like every annotator to be able to append what it has done. It
> would be useful for my exceptions to go in as annotations pointing at
> the log. I realise there are other logging mechanisms and I do use them,
> but a logfile is not kept on a per document basis and does not reside
> with the relevant processes data.

Is it not sufficient to have a string valued feature
somewhere where you can keep this information?

Anyway, I don't have strong opinions about this.  I
think I wouldn't want to use an annotator that modifies
my data (as opposed to creating new metadata), even
if it's just appending.  You may well have annotators
that work differently on longer documents than shorter
ones (summarization, document categorization etc).
But that's just my opinion.

--Thilo