uima-user mailing list archives

From "LeHouillier, Frank D." <Frank.LeHouill...@gd-ais.com>
Subject RE: Type Priorities
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:00:04 GMT
I was certainly tripped up by it.  I'm not even sure that the default
behavior shouldn't be different than it is.  It feels like an artifact
of implementation convenience rather than something the user should
expect.

Anyway, perhaps another solution to this problem might be suggested by
the findCoverFS method in the Regex annotator.  In Katrin's example you
could create a dummy Abbreviation with the offsets of the entity, use
FSIterator.moveTo() to get to it and add all the valid iterators you
find going forward that still fall within the end offset to your list.
I'm not sure of the efficiency of moveTo() versus iterating through the
whole list though.  Is an FSIndex implemented as a hash so that
searching through it for the right offsets (using moveTo()) is
efficient?

-----Original Message-----
From: Burn Lewis [mailto:burnlewis@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:09 PM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Type Priorities

I would guess that many users of the subiterator get tripped up by type
priorities at some stage ... I certainly have.  It'd be nice if we had a
version that just used the bounds of the input annotation, e.g.

FSIterator subiterator(AnnotationFS window,
                       boolean      ambiguous,
                       boolean      strict,
                       boolean      ignoreWindowTypePriority)

or
FSIterator subiterator(int     windowBegin,
                       int     windowEnd,
                       boolean ambiguous,
                       boolean strict)

I suspect this is not the first discussion on this!

Burn