uima-user mailing list archives

From "Pascal Coupet" <pascal.cou...@temis.com>
Subject RE: Bewildered
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:05:36 GMT
Hi Dennis,

You will not be able to analyze directly documents in binary format
using the UIMA samples. There is no default converter included in the
package. So you should first convert them into a text file (using "save
as"by example) or implement an external converter within your
application.

Pascal

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Geller [mailto:dgeller@aptima.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:10 AM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bewildered

Sorry that I was unclear. The bad characters appeared when I took the
compiled tutorial and pointed it at a directory of mine, rather than the

one that came with the tutorial (no data problems in there!).

Could be that there was a jpeg in the directory, or an embedded image in

a word document.  I'll follow up on that tutorial reference . Thanks.

>> I just almost had a successful run. However, it coughed because a
>> file had a "non-XML character, 0x0."
> Where was this character?  If it was in your XML descriptors, then
> that needs to be corrected.  It is possible to analyze arbitrary data,

> including "byte" data containing any characters, in UIMA; see

http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.1-incubating/
docs/html/tutorials_and_users_guides/tutorials_and_users_guides.html#ugr
.tug.aas.sofa_data_formats

--
Dennis Geller, Ph.D. Computer and Communication Science

taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
material from any computer.