uima-user mailing list archives

From "Nicolas Hernandez" <nicolas.hernan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where can I download an C++ UIMA framework?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:08:02 GMT
Hi,

I recently heard about the UIMA UIMA framework and I m currently
testing it to estimate whether it fits to heterogeneous needs of my
research team. So far, I have managed to install eclipse plugins, made
my first annotators, dealt with SOAP deployment...
My last tests have concerned the ability of UIMA to integrate
Annotators written with Perl API thanks the "C++ Enablement Layer".  I
failed with the IBM' 1.4 and then I found this post about the
Apache'one.

I got some problems to install the latter. Since I finally managed to
deal with, I let you know some hints to get the uimacpp works from the
checkout version (as far as I understood from the READMEs).

I installed everything in my personnal $APPLI dir.
"jdk1.6.0" is installed too.
And I run on Linux version 2.6.22-14-generic (buildd@terranova) (gcc
version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)).

1. checkout ; we call the trunk, $APPLI/apache-uimacpp-v2.2.0-svn

2. follow the README.4src guidelines "Setting up the build environment".

3. install APR, ICU, XERCES and declare variables in .bashrc
#------ JAVA
export JAVA_HOME=$APPLI/jdk
export JRE_HOME=$JAVA_HOME/jre
export JAVA_INCLUDE=$JAVA_HOME/include
export CPATH=$JAVA_HOME/include:$CPATH

#------ XERCES - http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/
export XERCES_HOME=$APPLI/xerces-c
export PATH=$PATH:$XERCES_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$XERCES_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

#------   ICU    - http://www.icu-project.org/
export ICU_HOME=$APPLI/icu4c-3_8_1-bin
export PATH=$PATH:$ICU_HOME/bin:$ICU_HOME/sbin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ICU_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CPATH=$ICU_HOME/include:$CPATH

#------   APR    - http://apr.apache.org/
export APR_HOME=$APPLI/apr
export PATH=$PATH:$APR_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APR_HOME/include:$APR_HOME/include/apr-1:$APR_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CPATH=$APR_HOME/include:$APR_HOME/include/apr-1:$APR_HOME/lib:$CPATH

4. make some apt-get install libtool automake autoconf doxygen graphviz

5. cd apache-uimacpp-svn/src
make -f Makefile.prebuild

6. ./configure --prefix=apache-uimacpp-v2.2.0-bin
--with-jdk=$APPLI/jdk/include/linux --with-apr=$APR_HOME
--with-icu=$ICU_HOME --with-xerces=$XERCES_HOME
Here is a bug, since "apache-uimacpp-v2.2.0-bin" will be created into
apache-uimacpp-svn. We will call this dir UIMA_INSTALLDIR

7. make -f Makefile.unix install

8.
cd ../../docs
./builddocs.sh

9.
cd ..
export UIMA_INSTALLDIR=$APPLI/apache-uimacpp-v2.2.0-svn/apache-uimacpp-v2.2.0-bin

10. Since buildsdk.sh have some bugs (UIMA_INSTALL -> UIMA_INSTALLDIR,
and UIMA_INSTALLDIR/include/uima does not exist) do
mkdir $UIMA_INSTALLDIR/include/uima
cp  $UIMA_INSTALLDIR/include/* $UIMA_INSTALLDIR/include/uima

11.
rm -rf $APPLI/tmp
./buildsdk.sh $APPLI/tmp
cd $APPLI/tmp
tar cvzf uimacpp-2.2.0-incubating-bin.tgz uimacpp

12. Add in .bashrc
#------ UIMACPP
export UIMACPP_HOME=$UIMA_HOME/uimacpp
export PATH=$UIMACPP_HOME/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$UIMACPP_HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

you can copy uimacpp-2.2.0-incubating-bin.tgz into your UIMA_HOME, and
read its README.

The rest works with me easily...

Wish you having fun...

/Nicolas