uima-user mailing list archives

From "LeHouillier, Frank D." <Frank.LeHouill...@gd-ais.com>
Subject RE: Can annotators dynamically set the typesystem it will create at runtime
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:49:07 GMT
I don't think so.  Much of the discussion on this list has focused on
the strong decoupling of the type system (and other properties in the
analysis engine descriptor) from the analysis engines themselves.  But,
what are the circumstances under which a suitable type couldn't be
described ahead of time?  Even if the type that you think you need to
create "at runtime" is elaborate and somehow generated from something in
the documents that are being processed, it should be still possible to
define some recursively defined annotation type that would cover all the
cases, or am I wrong? In the simplest case, where all the generated
annotations are flat, you could simply create an annotation type that
has a string feature and set the value of the feature on the fly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmed Ragheb [mailto:RAGHEBA@eg.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 9:32 AM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Can annotators dynamically set the typesystem it will create at
runtime

Dear all,

For some application, the annotator needs to create an annotation of a
type
that is not defined in the type system. It will be consumed a component
that doesn't need to know the type system in order to process the
annotations. Is it possible that the annotator dynamically set the
typesystem it will create at runtime?

Thanks

Best Regards,
Ahmed
-------

Ahmed M. Ragheb
Software Engineer
Advanced Technologies Group
IBM Cairo Technology Development Center
IBM WTC, Egypt Branch, P.O.B.  166, El-Ahram, Giza, Egypt.
   Tel: DID: (202) 35361048    S/B: (202) 35362536 Ext: 1048
    e-mail: ragheba@eg.ibm.com

"We think in generalities, but we live in details.", Alfred North
Whitehead