uima-user mailing list archives

From "Danai Wiriyayanyongsuk" <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions regarding the Heap class and the heap size.
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 01:06:17 GMT
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to understand how the Heap class works and would like to ask few
questions as followed:

1) Is the following statement correct?
"The class org.apache.uima.cas.impl.Heap has an internal integer array named
"heap" which maintains the type system structure. The required space for the
"heap" is solely depends on the type system structure (basically, number of
features). It does not depend on, say, the size of String (or any) arrays or
the length of the document text (Sofa)."

2) If the above statement is correct, should we reduce the default minimum
heap size (Heap.MIN_PAGE_SIZE) from 1000 to, say, 100, and the default
initial heap size (Heap. DEFAULT_PAGE_SIZE and
CASImpl.DEFAULT_INITIAL_HEAP_SIZE) from 500000 to, say, 1000 as the current
default values might be too high to maintain a type system? From my
experiment, using a CAS object with around 30 feature definitions in a type
system uses about only 78 items (integers) of the "heap".
I could be totally wrong on these. Any opinions/advices would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Danai Wiriyayanyongsuk