uima-user mailing list archives

From "Pascal Coupet" <pascal.cou...@temis.com>
Subject RE: UIMA Apache is a real pain
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:39:23 GMT

We are also in the process to move our product to the UIMA version. We
got a working version within hours without special problem and it's a
big product using the whole framework.

I think that there is still some support on the IBM version since
OmniFind is using it but using the UIMA version is a good move. The
design is cleaner and it's better to be on the mainstream for support,
features and interoperability.

The costliest part for us is to convert all our sources using CAS
Initializers since it was deprecated in version 2 and disappeared in
version 2.2 . I'm wondering if there is a way to build a version 2.2
with XCAS Initializer support?

Thanks,

Pascal

Pascal Coupet

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Serff [mailto:lists@serff.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:02 AM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: UIMA Apache is a real pain

I can attest to only having to change the package names.  I converted
the BaLIE Annoator in a matter of seconds by just changing the package
names to use the apache package names.  I didn't have to change anything

else to use it under the Apache UIMA.  So I'd keep on trying, let
everyone know what your specific problem is and I'm sure someone will be

able to help you.  IBM isn't moving forward on the UIMA SDK (unless I
just don't know...), so it seems almost necessary that people move to
Apache if they want to get new features, etc.

Good Luck!
Andrew
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Sorry to hear you're having such a frustrating time!
>
> It's a little hard to figure out what might be helpful here without
some
> further details.  I don't think anything changed in the implementation
> that would alter the behavior you describe regarding CPEs.   Can you
> describe what's going wrong?
>
> We're continually trying to balance going forward with keeping
backwards
> compatibility.  When moving to Apache UIMA, there was a need to change
> the package names (to org.apache.uima...) - that was the biggest
change
> that required users to change their code and recompile.  We included a
> utility that attempted to update the source for these changes - were
you
> able to make use of it?
>
> -Marshall
>

> Christian Mauceri wrote:
>
>> I spent some hours in trying to port my old UIMA IBM Appli in the
>> Apache version and it's a real pain where you know. I do not
>> understand why to change things at this point and make things so
>> difficult for the others. I do not see the benefit for anybody, one
>> can imagine the decision to use UIMA is not spending all the time in
>> trying to understand the deprecated functions, the PATH rules etc.
>> Something becomes a standard because it is supposed to be useful and
>> make people life easier. For my deepest regret it is not the case for
>> this version of UIMA. Among other thing I cannot understand why it is
>> not possible to embed in simple way descriptors and CPEs in a plugin
>> and forget the machinery beyond, let's imagine if for instance EMF
>> produced such head ache.
>> In the IBM version it was possible to generate a CPE and put it in a
>> folder with the other descriptors and have an Eclipse action doing
>> something like :
>>
>> CpeDescription cpeDesc = UIMAFramework.getXMLParser()
>>                .parseCpeDescription(
>>                        new
>> XMLInputSource(cpeFile.getLocation().toOSString()));
>> CollectionProcessingEngine cpe =
>> UIMAFramework.produceCollectionProcessingEngine(cpeDesc);
>>
>> then something like
>>
>>                        monitor.beginTask("Starting CPE", nod);
>>                        //Create and register a Status Callback
Listener

>> StatusCallbackListenerImpl cbl =
>>                            new StatusCallbackListenerImpl(monitor);
>>                        cpe.addStatusCallbackListener(cbl);
>>                                              cpe.process();
>>                                              while
(!cbl.isFinished()){