uima-user mailing list archives

From <marc.li...@thomson.com>
Subject RE: Moving to Java 1.5?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:04:55 GMT

We would welcome a move to 1.5.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Thilo Goetz [mailto:twgoetz@gmx.de]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:15 AM
To: uima-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Moving to Java 1.5?

Hi all,

our upcoming (hopefully very soon) 2.2 release will still be Java 1.4
compatible.  We're currently having a discussion on the development list
if for the next version, we should move to Java 1.5.  This would mean
that future UIMA versions would no longer be able to run in Java 1.4,
but would require 1.5 or newer.

Java 1.4 is getting quite long in the tooth, and most people have moved.
Java 1.5 brought many changes and improvements which we would like to be
able to exploit in UIMA.

So my question is: would this cause major headaches for anybody around
here?  Anybody still committed to Java 1.4 for the foreseeable future?

The corresponding uima-dev mail thread is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03860.htm

--Thilo