uima-user mailing list archives

From Christian Mauceri <mauc...@hermeneute.com>
Subject UIMA Apache is a real pain
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:27:52 GMT
I spent some hours in trying to port my old UIMA IBM Appli in the Apache
version and it's a real pain where you know. I do not understand why to
change things at this point and make things so difficult for the others.
I do not see the benefit for anybody, one can imagine the decision to
use UIMA is not spending all the time in trying to understand the
deprecated functions, the PATH rules etc. Something becomes a standard
because it is supposed to be useful and make people life easier. For my
deepest regret it is not the case for this version of UIMA. Among other
thing I cannot understand why it is not possible to embed in simple way
descriptors and CPEs in a plugin and forget the machinery beyond, let's
imagine if for instance EMF produced such head ache.
In the IBM version it was possible to generate a CPE and put it in a
folder with the other descriptors and have an Eclipse action doing
something like :

CpeDescription cpeDesc = UIMAFramework.getXMLParser()
                .parseCpeDescription(
                        new
XMLInputSource(cpeFile.getLocation().toOSString()));
 CollectionProcessingEngine cpe =
UIMAFramework.produceCollectionProcessingEngine(cpeDesc);

then something like

                        monitor.beginTask("Starting CPE", nod);
                        //Create and register a Status Callback Listener

                        StatusCallbackListenerImpl cbl =
                            new StatusCallbackListenerImpl(monitor);
                        cpe.addStatusCallbackListener(cbl);

                        cpe.process();

                        while (!cbl.isFinished()){
                            if(monitor.isCanceled()){
                                cpe.stop();
                                return Status.CANCEL_STATUS;
                            }
                        }

without worrying about the CLASSPATH or I do not know what, why is it
that difficult now? Because we have to suffer before having the right to
use this so wonderful framework?

I'm at 1 month from a crucial deadline, I need the Eclipse 3.3 version,
I regret my first choice, deeply!

--
Cordialement/Regards
Christian Mauceri