uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: CasPoolSize
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:47:12 GMT
Steven Suppe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious as to the proportion for the Cas Pool Size in a CPE
> compared to the number of instances.
>
> From the manual...
>
> "It could make sense to have additional CASes, though – if you had
> other multi-threaded processes that were using the CASes, other than
> the AEs."
>
> What types of other processes are we talking about?  Something not
> typically used in UIMA?  Or, say, the consumers?  It seems if you have
> a 'normal' pipeline of AEs and consumers, having a larger pool is
> unnecessary.  Is this true?
Yes, I think this is true.  One additional factor to be aware of - if
you have a pipe line scaled up by 3 (you have 3 instances of annotators
in the main pipe line, there will be 3 threads for this, plus an
additional thread for the collection reader, and one for the cas
consumer.  So to insure all of these are running that could be running
at one time, you would want to have a pool size of 5.

-Marshall