uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Questions regarding the Heap class and the heap size.
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:29:14 GMT
Danai Wiriyayanyongsuk wrote:
> Thanks Marshall and Thilo for shading some light.
>

> Besides the instances of feature structures (which I guess that it usually
> does not require much of the "Heap.heap" space), are there any kinds of
> information that might require big chunks of the "Heap.heap" space e.g.
> hundreds of array's elements that I should be aware of?
[...]

All the data that your analysis generates (with a few exceptions) lives
on the heap.  So depending on how many annotations you create, the heap
may grow very large.  It is usually several times the size of the input
document.  I've personally had applications where the CAS (most of which
is the heap) would on average be about 50 times the size of the input
document.

Unfortunately there is no good way to get at this data via APIs.  The
way I got this information was by triggering Java heap dumps and looking
at the size of the data structures on the Java heap.

HTH,
Thilo