uima-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Campbell <mcampb...@syrres.com>
Subject Multi-Document Processing
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:27:59 GMT
Hey folks:

    I'm looking at a process that runs each document through a bunch of
annotators to tag up various information, then I need to do some
processing/manipulation of those documents based the information held in
the whole collection.  I've been reading up on the CPE, but it looks
like it's primarily for running a collection of documents through an
AE.  I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for
doing the collection-wide processing portion of my process.

    I had started out by defining the process as one large aggregate AE
and running each document through it, but I don't see a way to go
through that initial tagging process for all documents and then move on
to the next phase.
    I then switched gears and tried splitting up each phase into it's
own AE, but then I loose the complex Sofa mappings I had put together
for the previous attempt.  So I guess this could be solved in two ways -
one would be that the CPE has some sort of built-in method for doing
collection-wide processing and manipulation (ie, "first identify all
location names in all documents, then replace each with a new name, but
make sure the new name doesn't appear in any other document").  The
other would be to somehow run through the first phase to identify
everything, do processing using the collection of JCas's resulting, then
pump each JCas into a second AE for doing post-processing stuff.
Somewhere in there would have to be some dynamically-mapped Sofas from
the phase 1 AE to the phase 2 AE.

    I hope that described my goal well enough, and thanks ahead of time
for any pointers you guys can throw my way.

-Matt