uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Moving to Java 1.5?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:15:18 GMT
Hi all,

our upcoming (hopefully very soon) 2.2 release will still
be Java 1.4 compatible.  We're currently having a discussion
on the development list if for the next version, we should
move to Java 1.5.  This would mean that future UIMA versions
would no longer be able to run in Java 1.4, but would
require 1.5 or newer.

Java 1.4 is getting quite long in the tooth, and most people
have moved.  Java 1.5 brought many changes and improvements
which we would like to be able to exploit in UIMA.

So my question is: would this cause major headaches for
anybody around here?  Anybody still committed to Java 1.4
for the foreseeable future?

The corresponding uima-dev mail thread is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev%40incubator.apache.org/msg03860.html

--Thilo