uima-user mailing list archives

From holmberg2066@comcast.net (g...@holmberg.name)
Subject CasPools in a general service
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:08:34 GMT
I'm wondering how best to use CasPools in my system.

My system is a general service--that is, it may receive concurrent requests with arbitrary
AnalysisEngineDescriptions from different applications.

Some requests may use the exact same AED object, in which case, it's obvious that documents
processed from those requests can share the same AnalysisEngine and CasPool.

However, it's also likely that the system will receive AEDs that are equivalent--that is,
they have the same annotators with the same configuration parameters, but they are two physically
different AED objects.

Now, in this case, it would be possible to use the same AE and CasPool, if there was a way
to tell that they were equivalent.  Unfortunately, the equals() methods on AnalysisEngineDescription
and AnalysisEngine won't tell me this.  So what I currently do is create separate CasPools.

Is it worth it for performance and memory usage to write a method to compare two AEDs to determine
if they are equivalent?  Or is creating CAS's and CasPool not expensive enough to justify
the work, and I should just continue with separate CasPools?

Going further, it appears that two AnalysisEngines could share the same CasPool if only their
type systems are the same--the AE's themselves don't event have to be the same (could have
different configuration parameter values, for example).  They merely need the same CasDefinition.
Is there an easy way to determine if two AEDs have the same type system or CasDefinition,
and so could share a CasPool?

Thanks,

Greg Holmberg