uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eck...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: license for gpl3 wrapper?
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:51:40 GMT
Hi,

as far as I understand, if you make any direct API calls to the GPLv3 library, your code needs
to be GPLv3 as well.

It may be possible to dual-license it under the ASL 2.0 and the GPLv3, so that it can be used
under the ASL 2.0 in the case all references to GPLv3 code are removed. I'd be curious if
anybody else considers this a valid approach, because I'm actually considering to do that
dual-license thing with some code we have that currently links to to GPL-ed libraries.

I do not think it is mandatory to credit UIMA at all. I suppose a mention on the website for
your libraries or possible in the README.txt file of your project wouldn't hurt. If you are
on the scientific side, there are several papers related to UIMA, e.g. this one

	http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1030318.1030325

Cheers,

-- Richard

Am 15.10.2012 um 17:42 schrieb Jens Grivolla <j+asf@grivolla.net>
:

> Hi, we wrote a UIMA wrapper for a GPLv3 library and would like to publish it.
>
> Is it possible to publish it under the Apache License 2.0 if we don't distribute the
GPL library, or does the wrapper have to be published under GPLv3? I understand that there's
no problem with having it under GPL even though it links against UimaCpp.