uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shown Annotation types in the Annotation Editor
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:30:39 GMT
On 10/10/11 1:17 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:

> normally I would argue for the preferences because in RCP application
> that's the place for such stuff, I think.
We are speaking about different preferences here. In eclipse there are
preferences which are stored per plugin.
These cannot be used, because many preferences simply depend on the type
system. Therefore I introduced
preferences per type system.

> However, this is counterproductive for many use cases. I don't think
> that it is preferable to exchange the preference settings between
> users that work on the same project. I would argue for a local file
> per type system; Per type system since we cannot predict the usage of
> project by the user (I also have many type systems per project). A
> local file with the visualization settings can be shared with svn, but
> also can be excluded.

Exactly. That is what the ide plugin does, it creates one preferences
file per type system. The user can now decide if he
wants to check in that file or not. But the IDE plugin is only one use
case, if the Cas Editor is integrated into an RCP application
this RCP application has to implement a document provider, which then
has to take care of to decide where to store these
type system preferences.

Do you save preferences about which annotations are visible in this map
file?

> We currently use the style map format of UIMA and name the xml files
> like the type system (MyTypeSystemStyleMap.xml). If a CAS is opened
> with a type system, then the editor searches for a corresponding style
> map xml and applies that. As I see it, the style information there
> isn't enough for the cas editor, but the overall approach is very
> suitable at least for my use cases.

So the Cas Editor approach, with a general preference store file per
type system is very similar.

> Another thing is that TextMarker can create the visualization settings
> in a rule-based fashion and since the CEV plugin will be replaced by
> the cas editor sometime I'd really like to see a compatible
> alternative: something local that can be replaced without dependencies
> to the RCP application.

Well, this is just a "default" setting which Text Marker can create, right?

How do you decide which type system xml file to use in Text Marker when
a CAS file is opened?

Jörn