uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: servlet simple-server-test threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException ...
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:59:10 GMT
Hi -

The error below says "NullPointerException" on line 194 in the
SimpleServerServlet.

That line in the source code (assuming you're running version 2.2.2,
from the latest release) is:

    System.out.println("Given text: " + text.substring(0, Math.min(50,
text.length())));

The only way that line can produce a null pointer exception is if the
value of the "text" field is null.

That field is set a few lines above, using this code:

    String text = request.getParameter("text");

(request is the representation of the http request).

So it would seem that you perhaps did not formulate your http request
correctly.

If you need more help, please reply with more details, including the
exact line you are "POST"-ing to the simple server.

-Marshall