uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject source of some unusual profiling measurements
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2008 04:29:30 GMT
While measuring / profiling uima-as - I've notices some unusually high
time being spent in methods that are practically empty - e.g. "delegate"
method of "HandlerBase" class.

It turns out that the uima-as code has lots of tracing to the log,
normally disabled.  We had previously discovered that it payed to avoid
calling "logrb" with all of its arguments, if logging wasn't enabled for
that level, so in the base uima code all the logger calls are wrapped
with an if statement testing first if that logging level is enabled,
thus avoiding computing the arguments of logrb.

This wrappping is missing in the newer uima-as code - I'm thinking that
this might account for the unusually high % of time being observed.  I
haven't been able to test this though - my profiling experiments started
to hang after I made this change.

-Marshall