uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Igor Sominsky" <somin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept the Configurable Feature Extractor (CFE) into the sandbox
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:51:59 GMT
>Igor Sominsky wrote:
>> Thilo,
>>
>> As Michael wrote, we will continue to support CFE in the future. It is
>> extensively used in our
>> research and development process. In fact, CFE is the only software that
>> we use for extracting
>> features for machine learning and evaluation. We are also extending CFE
>> to include an evaluation
>> as a part of its functionality. For that purpose we are enabling FESL
>> with semantics required to
>> specify rules for annotation comparison. Just to clarify, you observation
>> is correct, as of now
>> an evaluation is a separate piece of functionality and is not a part of
>> CFE, although it works
>> off CFE's output. But as I pointed out earlier, it is being integrated
>> with CFE

>I was wondering if it's really a good idea to integrate it. It seems
>orthogonal to the feature
>extraction part.

The evaluation functionality is going to be built on top of the feature
extraction. The feature extraction is going to be just a step during the
evaluation process. That is why extending semantics for comparison seemed to
make sense. CFE can still be used just for a feature extraction.

>> Regarding EMF-based and XMLBeans parsers. Both parsers are generated from
>> the FESL schema file. I
>> do not see any problem in eliminating one parser or the other. I
>> personally prefer to work with
>> EMF-based parser as it is integrated with Eclipse and allows quick
>> turn-around cycle in the case
>> it is required to make changes to the schema.
>The EMF stuff would make a lot of sense if you planned any Eclipse-based
>tooling. Outside Eclipse,
>EMF-based XML parsing is difficult to get right, in my experience (because
>it really wasn't intended
>to be used outside Eclipse). Maybe that's no longer the case, though. I
>haven't tried it in a long
>time.

I am invoking the feature extraction form Perl scripts. No issues. Setting the
class path correctly does the job. There are only 5 jars from EMF that CFE
is dependant on

>So, I'll vote +0 on this one. If the other UIMA committers are happy to
>pick it up, and do the work
>to integrate it into the sandbox, whip the documentation into shape, maybe
>simplify the user-facing
>xml, I won't stop you. I really think the world needs a tool like this,
>just not convinced this is
>the best approach. Mind you, maybe there is no simpler way. But if there
>isn't, then I for one
>still prefer a few lines of Java I've written myself over a couple of pages
>of xml. No offense.

Well, it is a matter of a personal preference, but going further, when
developing a GUI tool, generating XML files seems to be a better option then
generating Java code. Again, it is a personal preference.

Thanks,
Igor