uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Igor Sominsky" <somin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept the Configurable Feature Extractor (CFE) into the sandbox
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:35:02 GMT

As Michael wrote, we will continue to support CFE in the future. It is extensively used in
our research and development process. In fact, CFE is the only software that we use for extracting
features for machine learning  and evaluation. We are also extending CFE to include an evaluation
as a part of its functionality. For that purpose we are enabling FESL with semantics required
to specify rules for annotation comparison. Just to clarify, you observation is correct, as
of now an evaluation is a separate piece of functionality and is not a part of CFE, although
it works off CFE's output. But as I pointed out earlier, it is being integrated with CFE

Regarding EMF-based and XMLBeans parsers. Both parsers are generated from the FESL schema
file. I do not see any problem in eliminating one parser or the other. I personally prefer
to work with EMF-based parser as it is integrated with Eclipse and allows quick turn-around
cycle in the case it is required to make changes to the schema.

      From:  Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de>
      To:  uima-dev@incubator.apache.org
      Date:  10/22/2008 05:36 AM
      Subject:  Re: [VOTE] accept the Configurable Feature Extractor (CFE) into the sandbox

Michael Tanenblatt wrote:
> Igor Sominsky is on vacation now, so he cannot respond, but I think it
> is safe to say that he will continue to support this for the foreseeable
> future. It is something that he and I use often, and he has been
> continuing to enhance and support it.
> On Sep 29, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> Who will maintain this code once it's in the sandbox?

Igor, are you back?  Care to comment?  I'd like to see
some assurance that this is not just a code drop before
I vote.

I'm also confused about the evaluation part of CFE.  I
can see that it's useful to have this sort of evaluation,
but should it really be part of a feature extraction
package?  It seems a pretty independent sort of
functionality.  Or maybe I just didn't understand it.

You write in your user's guide that CFE depends on both
XmlBeans and EMF.  Are you using EMF for anything but
XML processing?  Do you think EMF could be eliminated
and completely replaced by XmlBeans?  To be clear, this
is not necessary, I'm just curious.