uima-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Baessler <...@michael-baessler.de>
Subject Re: Default Result Specifications too complicated?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 11:26:06 GMT
Adam Lally wrote:
> P.S. Here are the specific rules for the Result Spec (this is
> documented in the manual more or less in this form):
>
> The default Result Spec is automatically computed from the
> capabilities in the component descriptors, as follows:
>
> 1) The outermost aggregate's result spec is set to the list of its
> declared output types.
> 2) The result spec for each delegate is set to the union of the
> aggregate's result spec with the set of all input types of all other
> delegates in the aggregate.  (This is so that we ask each annotator to
> produce types that may be needed by a subsequent annotator.  This rule
> is applied independent of the order of the flow, so as to be
> completely general in the case of a custom flow controller.)
> 3) For a nested aggregate, apply rule #2 recursively.
>
> I think these rules make logical sense, and I can't think of any
> easier rules to apply other than to forget the whole thing.
Sorry, I currently don't understand what is going on here...

you mentioned above how the default Result Spec is computed. But I think
the Result Spec depends on the used
aggregate flow, isn't it? So what flow is used in the sample above, the
fixed flow? I know when using the capabilityLanguageFlow all is slightly
different for example.
So my thought was that the Result Spec depends on the used flow and if
the flow does not manipulate the Result Spec the annotators produce all
they can.
So is "all they can" implemented as default Result Spec? If true, I
think in this case we can turn off/ignore the Result Spec.

-- Michael