uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: <envVarRef>s in UIMA descriptors
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:02:20 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Adam Lally wrote:
>> On 3/26/07, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> I agree that people may be using it.  I haven't seen it used in a while,
>>> but that doesn't mean anything.  If we don't plan on removing the
>>> feature, why should we deprecate it?
>>>
>>> The name is because we wanted no difference between Java and C++
>>> descriptors.  System properties are the way to do env vars in Java.
>>> System env vars are deprecated in Java.  So I'd vote to leave things as
>>> they are.  If the CDE doesn't support this (documented and I assume,
>>> working) feature, maybe we should add that support?
>>>

>> BTW, System.getEnv is no longer deprecated in Java 5.  But I'm not
>> sure that really helps us, since at present we're still committing to
>> support Java 1.4.
>>
>> -Adam
>>

> In Java 1.4, although it's marked as deprecated, it is available.  And
> it's no longer
> deprecated in Java 5 or Java 6.  So we could change this to
> access environment variables directly, right?  Then it would match the
> C++ impl.
>
> -Marshall

Changing this might break backward compatibility in fairly subtle ways.
  I'd be very careful to change the behavior of an existing feature in
that way.  If we want to change it (it and I'm not at all convinced we
do), I'd vote for removing the <envVar> feature and replacing it with a
new one that has the desired properties.  That will alert both annotator
writers and application developers to the change.

--Thilo