uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Default Result Specifications too complicated?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:10:11 GMT
On 4/18/07, Michael Baessler <mba@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> OK, but can the FlowController manipulate the ResultSpec for an
> annotator before it is
> called? Or can the FlowController just decide the flow of the engines
> (if they are called, which order ...)
> If the FlowController does not manipulate the ResultSpec where else can
> it be done, only in the application
> that calls the main engine?

No, the FlowController can't manipulate result specs.  This was a
design choice when we exposed the FlowController in 2.0.
ResultSpecifications are now independent of flow order.

An application can override the ResultSpecification of the topmost
aggregate, to specify that a subset of the topmost aggregate's outputs
are actually desired.  Then this trickles down to the delegates'
ResultSpecs.

> I still think that it is necessary to have a way to specify what output
> types an annotator
> should produce. And it is not efficient that an annotator always produce
> anything that's possible.

OK.  I think what we're leaning towards doing here is just providing
some better checking/tracing for result specs so that it is easier to
debug problems with them.

-Adam