uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: <envVarRef>s in UIMA descriptors
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:29:09 GMT
On 4/13/07, Eddie Epstein <eaepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> And yet the UIMA SDK run_configurations depends on the environmental
> variable UIMA_HOME:
>
> "-Djava.util.logging.config.file=${env_var:UIMA_HOME}/config/Logger.properties"
> -DVNS_HOST=localhost
>
> Are we being hypocritical here, using environment variables in Java
> when convenient but saying that others should not?

_Applications_ can use all the environment variables they want.  I
just don't think it's nice for reusable components to require them.

The UIMA framework itself has no environment variable dependency,
these are used only by top level applications/tools, and are
referenced in scripts or run configurations that launch those tools,
not from Java itself.

However, I'm willing to admit that an annotator can access environment
variables (in its code) if it really needs to, and that this may be
necessary for wrapping certain 3rd-party components.  But I just don't
think it's a best practice, and am not sure UIMA needs a special
feature to allow environment variable references in its descriptors.
Let people access them through the Java API if they really need to.

-Adam