tuscany-user mailing list archives

From "Millies, Sebastian" <Sebastian.Mill...@softwareag.com>
Subject RE: Contributions and Runtime Classpath
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:31:11 GMT

I'm sorry of I was over-critical of the book, I didn't mean to be, it's
very valuable. And I also not fully understand the implications of thread[2]
back then - all I did was introduce import/export statements in my
sca-contribution xml files, and as everything then seemed to worked flawlessly,
I did not anticipate getting  into classloader hell later on. My mistake.

[snip]

> > Is there more deployment information of such importance documented
> > somewhere that I should be aware of?
> >

> I can't give a Yes or No answer to such a wide-ranging question.
> Unlike commercial products that deliver code accompanied by hundreds
> or thousands of pages of detailed documentation, Tuscany aims to
> help users who have questions or problems by providing timely and
> high-quality support via these mailing lists.  I'm sorry if this
> experience has made you disappointed.

I really am very happy with the support you (and others) give on this
list. In my opinion, this kind of thing can be much more helpful than
a big book - I would not have had time to read thousands of manual
pages beforehand. And even if I had, for lack of experience with
Tuscany I'd have been likely to miss the relevant point anyway (cf.
comment above).

>    Simon
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/user@tuscany.apache.org/msg02597.html
> [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/user@tuscany.apache.org/msg02897.html

Thanks for the pointer to [1]. That's just the thing I was looking for.

Point 3. in that post (using copies of service interfaces in client code)
sounds like a maintenance nightmare for JUnit tests. All my tests involve
RMI clients exercising some service interface, which I'd have to double.

What about utility classes that are used by many contributions and by
clients - can I put those on the class path? I guess not.

In Eclipse, at the moment I have a dependency to a global utility project
that everything else depends on. I suppose that will have to go, and
I just cannot use the standard Eclipse build and launch support,
with project dependencies and all. Instead, I'll have to always build
with maven (or ant) and put the jars somewhere where the contributions
can locate them. Like the scatours.launcher.LauncherUtil.

-- Sebastian

IDS Scheer Consulting GmbH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Kamyar Niroumand, Ivo Totev
register: Saarbrücken HRB 19681
http://www.softwareag.com