tuscany-user mailing list archives

From Mike Edwards <mike.edwards.inglen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sun is asking for proof that users want Sun support for SCA, A call to arms!
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 11:21:35 GMT
Folks,

I think that SCA is a significant advance in application development technologies which is
directed
to simplifying the building of agile and adaptable business systems.

Organisations are already reaping benefits from using SCA - IBM customers in particular have
been
able to exploit an version of SCA in the WebSphere Process Server and in the WebSphere ESB
products
for a couple of years now.  We also have customers who are excited about the latest SCA
functionality that is found in the Tuscany project and which IBM has made available as part
of the
WebSphere 6.1 SOA Feature Pack.  I talked about one of these customers (anonymously) at the
recent
OASIS Symposium in Santa Clara - the talk is now posted on the OSOA site here:

http://www.osoa.org/download/attachments/250/Flexible_Agile_Composition_01.pdf

I am sure that many more businesses will benefit as SCA implementations become available from
wider range of suppliers - TIBCO, Oracle, BEA and Rogue Wave all have products either available
or
in late beta stage.

As far as Sun are concerned, I encourage them to provide support for SCA in their products.
 If they
need to hear more about "what users want" - they could do well to listen to Steve Jones of
CapGemini
who was on that SCA Panel at JavaOne and who spoke eloquently about SCA as being of great
value in
unifying activities on the large projects that they undertake.

It is curious in some ways that Sun saw value in building runtimes for composite applications
and
have pursued the JBI specification for about the same length of time as the OSOA collaboration
of
companies developed the SCA specifications.  The hole in that approach is that JBI is really
specification for runtime builders (read "vendors"), providing little in the way of a model
for
building applications, which is what customers really care about.  Sun would do well to recognise

this and adopt SCA as the application layer which can sit above a JBI runtime.

Interestingly, a couple of guys from Atos Origin gave a talk at JavaOne about their work on
exactly
this topic - “The Best Of Both Worlds with Java Business Integration and Service Component

Architecture” presented by Jos Dirksen and Tijs Rademakers.  To me, this showed the value
and power
of the combination.

I think that the evidence is there that customers already see the benefits of SCA - and that

interest is continuing to grow and should expand rapidly once there is a good range of runtimes
and
tools that support the SCA model across the industry.  Whether Sun want to see this evidence
is
another matter, which I will leave them to think about.

Yours,  Mike.