tuscany-user mailing list archives

From "kelvin goodson" <kelvingood...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couple newbie questions
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:24:23 GMT
Jon,

   I can answer the SDO/EMF bit of your question.  The short answer is that
EMF is an implementation dependency of our SDO implementation which unless
you have some particular requirement that the SDO 2 spec doesnt cover, then
you don't need to worry about it.

The longer answer is that the eclipse implementation of SDO 1 is based upon
EMF, and the SDO 1 spec effort had two classes of programmer in mind,  those
who dealt with the getting and setting values on the graph,  and those who
created graphs and dealt with back end stores (Data Access Service
programmers).  The SDO 1 API only claimed to support the first class of
programmer,  and the DAS programmers would need to get down and dirty with
the facilities offered by the implementation (i.e. EMF for the Eclipse
SDO).  SDO 2 is considerably more mature,  and the Tuscany implementation
has its SDOUtil class to try to plug any gaps that are found in the SDO 2
spec (any such gaps being fed back into the 2.1 and 3.0 spec efforts).  So
at the moment there are a number of people who developed code against SDO 1
who are figuring out how the SDO 2 API handles those things they had
previously done in EMF,  but as you are a newbie I guess you don't fit into
that category.

My suggestion to you is that you just focus on the SDO API,  and consider
EMF as something under the hood that you can forget about.  If you do find
something that you can't do with SDO or with our SDOUtil class then if you
could feed back the issue to us that would be great.

--
Best Regards
Kelvin Goodson