tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond Feng <cyberf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 Idea : TUSCANY-4023
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:33:55 GMT
Hi, Dishara.

Thank you for the interest. I'll elaborate more on the idea.

There is a SCA domain concept in Tuscany, which is a service registry of metadata about all
the components and policies. A composite application can have components running on different
machines and they can be wired to each other using remote bindings within the SCA domain.
From the runtime perspective, Tuscany uses the domain registry to resolve the wirings between
components.

Tuscany has two types of implementation of the domain registry at this point:

1) Local registry (which only knows the local endpoints). It can be extended to use local
files to describe remote endpoints in the node.xml.
2) Multicast based registry on top of Tomcat Tribes or Hazelcast.

In a typical enterprise environment, the multicast doesn't work well due to networking constraints.
A more useful infrastructure is that we have centralized registry with HA configurations (such
as master/slave). Apache ZooKeeper and Redis can be used for these purposes. The project will
 be mostly implement the DomainRegistry SPI [2].

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANYWIKI/distributed-runtime.html
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sca-java-2.x/trunk/modules/core-spi/src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/runtime/DomainRegistry.java

Thanks,
Raymond

On Mar 11, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Dishara Wijewardana wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is regarding the project idea "Develop a distributed domain registry using Apache
ZooKeeper, Redis, or Memcache".

> I am interested in applying for this SoC program and I saw the JIRA[1] project idea for
Apache Tuscany. I have played with Tuscany and already
> had hands on experience with creating Tuscany SCA components in webapps and using the
callback method and etc (the framework is very helpful
> when communicating between front end and back end).
>
> I would like to work on the project "Develop a distributed domain registry using Apache
ZooKeeper, Redis, or Memcache" .
> These days I started looking in to Apache ZooKeeper and get familiar with it.
>
> It will be nice if I can get to know some details(what is the expected scope, what things
need to be looked before hand, and etc) of this project idea, so that I can prepare well for
the project.