tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Sebastien Delfino <jsdelf...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC working space
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 04:52:47 GMT
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070125@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Are you using maven to create the project ? the batik dependencies can
>>> be defined as dependencies and thus you won't need to provide the
>>> binaries itself.
>> Not really, it's just a Java project created by Eclipse!
> Then, it's ok if you just attach it as a zip, but you should start
> migrating it to a maven project. To make things easier, you could try
> merging your new code inside modules/node-manager ... I could try
> helping with that...

Looks like good progress already :)

You can attach it to a JIRA, but we usually don't put dependency JARs in SVN.

Also, it'll be easier for others to try your code if you do the following:
- create a Maven module with a pom.xml file declaring your dependencies;
- check that this module builds OK with Maven after you've built the
Tuscany trunk;
- use mvn eclipse:eclipse to generate an Eclipse project from the
declarations in your pom.xml.

These steps are a little more work than just creating and exporting a
project from Eclipse, but they help:
- share your work with more people in the community, e.g. people not
using Eclipse, like me for example;
- make it easier for others to get in your code, as it'll be in a
predictable Maven folder structure;
- provide a reproducible, command line based, way to build, execute
and test your code;
- eventually integrate your code and tests in the project's automated builds.

As a starting point you could copy the structure of an existing
Tuscany Maven module (just the pom.xml and the folder structure), like
node-manager for example. Once that works, add a test case or two
under src/test/java, as it'll help others play with it and understand
how to invoke it.

Hope this helps.

View raw message