tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.0 Beta2 samples (was: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta2 RC2)
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:58:29 GMT
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I wonder whether we need the ability to run from maven at all. We need
>>> a way for people to compile samples of course. I've be happy with the
>>> following.
>>>
>>> 1 - use the shell as the primary out of the box mechanism for
>>> 2 - present all the other options for running/embedding Tuscany under
>>> "running tuscany" which is after all why we created that  directory in
>>> the first place, i.e. to separate sample contributions from the large
>>> number of ways we have of running them
>>> 3 - make using the sample contributions in eclipse really easy
>>> (re-instate the eclipse plugin? provide instructions for generating
>>> projects files? Or even ship project files?)
>>>

>> I can understand the motivation for doing that but we did try it a bit
>> before and I got the feeling people didn't really like it. Eg needing
>> to have a prebuilt binary distribution can be a bit painful.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Are you suggesting that we don't ship a binary distribution now and go
> with just a source distribution?
>
> Simon

No I wasn't suggesting that, just trying to find some way to make some
progress on the samples.

It might be worth looking at what the binary distribution is actually
for though, perhaps not in this thread so it doesn't bog down the
sample discussion. The binary distribution isn't used by any of the
Maven builds of the samples or running them.

   ...ant