tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta2 RC2
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 09:20:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Florian MOGA <moga.flo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you let me know in what consists your process of reviewing a release
> candidate? Until now, I've performed a full build, ran the samples, checked
> for license headers. Haven't found any guidelines on the website or wiki.
> Are there any other checks you're doing on the source distribution? What
> about the binary distribution?

There are not that many rules or requirements to voting for a release
so a large amount of it comes down to personal preferences. A lot of
the doc about it is spread about the ASF so its hard to point at a
single page for more information

Some minimum rules are:
- anything being released must have all the source required to create
it also being released.
- it must be cryptographically signed
- it must contain the Apache LICENSE and NOTICE files, and meet the
ASF legal requirements
- the project must have voted to release it

Then there are a lot of subjective quality issues. Do things work,
have documentation, samples which work etc. How important those are
might depend on the type of release, for milestone type releases
perhaps they don't matter so much, for 1.0 type releases maybe you
want things looking pretty good. Some people look at things really
closely, others may not and if someone they trust has already voted +1
then they do too.

Another rule is that there are no vetos on releases so something can
be released as long as it gets at least three +1 votes and more +1s
than -1s.

In my experience Tuscany can be a tough place to do releases compared
to other projects as it takes a large amount of time to make a release
and then can be hard to get the votes.

   ...ant