tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trunk directory structure
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:24:29 GMT
ant elder wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> What should we do with contrib?
>> From previous long discussion, contrib should in trunk, and can be
>> excluded from a release.
>>

> I think we should revisit trunk/contrib.
>
> The suggested purpose was that it was a place to put things that were
> to be built with the trunk build to ensure that they don't get broken.
> I don't think that happens, for one most of the contrib stuff isn't
> finished so doesn't have any tests so we've no idea if it actually
> does work or not, and secondly AFAICT no one, and i mean no one,
> actually builds trunk/contrib regularly anyway.
>
> I agree with Florian and think we should get rid of it and just use
> the other contrib folder.
>
>    ...ant

I think trunk/contrib is a good idea and I'd like to put this structure
into 1.x after 1.6.1 is done.  It would be used for the thiungs currently
in trunk but not included in releases.

At the moment these unreleased things are mingled together in trunk with
all the released things.  The distribution assembly has code to exclude
the unreleased things but this approach is error-prone and doesn't work
properly because it doesn't change the top-level poms (modules, samples)
to account for things underneath them that have been removed.

Here's what I have in mind:

trunk
   modules
     ...all released modules...
   samples
     ...all released samples...
   demos
     ...all released demos...
   tutorials
     ...all released tutorials...
   tools
   itest
   vtest
   distribution
   contrib
     modules
       ...unreleased modules...
     samples
       ...unreleased samples...
     demos
       ...unreleased demos (if applicable)...
     tutorials
       ...unreleased tutorials (if applicable)...

The default profile for building trunk would include all of these
except for distribution.  When we do releases we would exclude
everything under contrib and include the rest.  This would provide
a simple solution for TUSCANY-3678.

   Simon