tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node2 vs Node, parallel universes? Sample tuscany launcher shell
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:38:13 GMT
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
<jsdelfino@apache.org> wrote:
> Raymond Feng wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We had a debate on this topic. See:
>>
>> http://osdir.com/ml/dev-tuscany.apache.org/2010-06/msg00164.html
>>
>> And apparently, we didn't reach agreement.
>
> It's probably a good idea to restart that discussion and find a consensus on
> this. After having not looked at the Tuscany code for a while I must admit I
> was a little confused by the multiple Node types.
>
> I'll try to participate in the discussion as much as I can, although I have
> little spare time these days. In the meantime, I'd like to continue to use
> the mainstream Node implementation for some time in samples/launcher-shell,
> as it's what's working with webapps, all the test cases, samples etc.
>

>> I think it would be a good idea to agree on the commands for shell. This
>> will help us understand how users use SCA. Then it can be translated into a
>> set of API/SPIs. Mixing different steps into one layer could prevent us from
>> seeing the complete user story.
>
> And like I tried to say in another email in this thread, I think we should
> distinguish:
> - Domain management, assembling components in a domain;
> and
> - Runtime instance configuration and management, loading a contribution in a
> runtime instance and starting/stopping it.
>
> They are really different IMHO, for example an SCA domain administrator can
> spend a day assembling components in a domain before starting a single
> runtime instance, and stopping a server doesn't mean that he's removing a
> composite from the SCA domain...
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

I'm out till Wednesday so will comment more on this and the previous
email when i'm back, but its worth pointing out now that the 2.x Nodes
are different than the old 1.x ones - the 2.x o.a.t.s.node API makes
Nodes that _are_ part of a domain not isolated standalone Node
instances. So for example when you use the sample shell and you start
Nodes they are all part of a domain named "default" and you can wire
from references in one Node to services in another Node and exports
from one Node are used by imports in another Node, and if you start a
component that has the same component name as an existing one it will
overwrite the old one. There is not currently a way with the 2.x APIs
to create a Node that is not part of a domain and is isolated from all
other Nodes.

   ...ant