tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Adding new function to the Tuscany trunk that's not yet ready for release
Date Sat, 03 Jul 2010 20:11:19 GMT
ant elder wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> We should promote things
>>> from 2 into 3 when the features are ready.
>> What does "we" mean here. Presumably developers working on modules can
>> do this when they feel ready.
>>

> Yes i think thats implied from all the previous discussions we've had
> around this, that has to be up to the devs doing the work.
>
> I'm not totally convinced about the need for a contrib folder in
> trunk. The point of it sounds like so that things can be removed when
> a release is done, but why remove things? I'd rather get feedback from
> users as soon as possible so prefer to include even work in progress
> items in releases.

Some reasons for not including these things in a release:

1. They might not be buildable.

2. The developer(s) might know they don't work, in which case getting
    feedback saying "feature X doesn't work" wouldn't be very useful.

3. Users might expect that things in a release should work (at least to
    some reasonable extent) and they might not be very happy to put time
    into trying to use a feature and eventually find that the feature is
    incomplete or not ready.

   Simon