tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Edwards <mike.edwards.inglen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.x build structure
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:20:04 GMT
Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Simon Laws <simonslaws@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I raise this topic with some trepidation as we've been here before but
>> here goes. We have been building (and releasing) all of the code in
>> the 2.x code base which has worked well to date. However two things
>> make me pause for thought:
>>
>> - we are not running the otests as part of the main build and we are
>> already seeing regressions because of this (this will happen more
>> often as more otests are brought in). This is not good.
>> - my 2.x build (without otests) is already up to 45 minutes and there
>> are still more extensions to bring back in
>>

> Here is some numbers that can help in case we want to optimize the
> current build as a first step.
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende/tuscany/Tuscany%20Build.pdf
>
> This is based on my build machine, which is taking 12 mins for a full 2.x build
>
> [INFO] Total time: 12 minutes 10 seconds
> [INFO] Finished at: Tue Nov 17 08:07:47 PST 2009
> [INFO] Final Memory: 102M/210M

Folks,

I can see that Luciano has access to the Los Alamos supercomputer that does the nuclear simulations

;-)  Can we have a go please?

The BPEL integration tests in 6 milliseconds is astoundingly good - how do you get that Luciano?
 My
figures running the BPEL iTest on its own give this:

Apache Tuscany SCA BPEL Integration Tests ............. SUCCESS [1.687s]
Apache Tuscany SCA iTest HelloWorld BPEL .............. SUCCESS [18.328s]

This is on a relatively speedy Lenovo T61p with 3Gb RAM under Win XP.  Even the iTest HelloWorld

BPEL is 3x faster on Luciano's system.  I am using Sun JDK 1.6.0_13.

One thing I note about the build is that we build all the Samples and run all the iTests.

I think that we should not build and test Samples by default.  Let them be built on demand
only.

No problem with running tests, but I note that even on Luciano's system, the tests seem to
dominate
the larger times in the list.  Are we running too many tests - and are the tests poorly structured?

We should give some thought to this.

Yours, Mike.