tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Feng" <enjoyj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making the 2.x build more modular
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:00:42 GMT
See my comments inline.

From: "ant elder" <ant.elder@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:52 PM
To: <dev@tuscany.apache.org>
Subject: Making the 2.x build more modular

> This has come up in a few places recently and having just spent a bit
> of time building in 1.x for the 1.5.1 release i think we really do
> need to do something to prevent the 2.x build becoming as big an
> unwieldy as the 1.x one, so how about discussing various options for
> things to try?
>
> One recent thing was the "More selective building option" thread and
> having maven profiles for building subsets of modules. That seems like
> a quite non-invasive way to start trying as profiles can be added and
> tested without impacting anyone, but in the long term it would get
> quite complicated and require lots of profiles replicated around many
> pom.xml's so it may not be a long term solution.

No matter how many maven profiles are added, I want to make sure people do a
full clean build before
committing code.

> Restructuring the directory locations is another - so separate folders
> for core modules/samples/itests and other foders for each extension-
> that makes it quite simpler to see whats going on and easy to build
> smaller pieces, but its harder as it needs more upfront consensus.

-1.

> Another consideration is how things get distributed and released - one
> big distribution or several, releases of all parts in step or
> independent? From past discussions that cold be quite hard to get
> agreement on so i wonder if build/distribution/releases could be kept
> as separate discussions?

I feel strongly that we should align the maven profiles with the packages
that we distribute. The basic idea is to provide pre-bundled offerings that
are composed out the Tuscany modules to fit different needs. Allowing maven
to build a set of modules is consistent with the goal to have various
package options to download Tuscany distribution. We already have the
features folder (some people call them profiles too, so feature == profile
to avoid term confusion) to define a set of poms that group modules by
functions. We should create maven profiles that point to such feature pom
projects as well as the module projects that make up the feature.