tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Nash <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tuscany / Equinox-OSGi integration, was: Creating distros for OSGi-enabled Tuscany/SCA
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:15:20 GMT
See inline.

   Simon

ant elder wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
> <jsdelfino@apache.org <mailto:jsdelfino@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     ant elder wrote:
>
 > (cut)
>
>         So this branch is really a fork isn't it?
>
>           ...ant
>

>     Is that a question or a statement? I don't really understand how you
>     come up to that conclusion.
>
>     It's not a fork, it's a branch to work through breaking changes (and
>     pretty complex changes I must say) which should allow our runtime to
>     correctly work as a set of modular bundles in an Equinox/OSGi
>     environment.
>
>     I'm hoping that this work can somehow benefit Tuscany, by providing
>     code, patterns or maybe just a set of techniques that the project
>     can implement to work in Equinox/OSGi. It'll be up to the Tuscany
>     community to take a look and decide what can be reused or if it's
>     just something to study and learn from.

If the focus is purely on OSGi/Equinox support, this sounds fine to me,
with the resulting code/patterns/techniques eventually getting applied
to trunk.  If it includes other restructuring or changes, I'd prefer to
see this kind of thing done in trunk as far as possible so it's easier
for the whole community to participate.

>     At the moment that Equinox port is still pretty broken, I've made
>     changes to start to clean up the dependencies on
>     assembly.builder.impl and contribution.service.impl for example, but
>     there are many other similar cross-bundle dependencies on
>     implementation packages which will take time to clean up.

When this is working, will it imply a hard dependency from Tuscany on
Equinox, or will there still be a way to run Tuscany outside of the
OSGI/Equinox environment?

   Simon