tuscany-dev mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Grouping/Aggregating tuscany modules, was: Re: Tracking Tuscany extensions, was: Distribution zips and what they contain, was: SCA runtimes
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:05:55 GMT
This went to me not the dev list, comments in line

   ...ant

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Raymond Feng <enjoyjava@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Can you provide us some use cases for the aggregated jars?
>
> I think it's very important that we don't physically merge module jars into
> a feature jar.
>
> Let's assume we have two features: f1 and f2. f1 contains modules m1 and
> m2, f2 contains m1 and m3.

If that happens then likely we don't have the aggregation granularity
correct. Could you provide an example of that using actual Tuscany modules
and the aggregations suggested so far?

> If we produce f1.jar and f2.jar, what's going to happen if my application
> uses both f1 and f2? If we declare maven dependencies to f1 and f2, we end
> up with a classpath containing f1.jar and f2.jar. All the classes/resources
> from module m1 will be duplicate in these two jars. The jar aggregation also
> prevents a feature to be depended by another feature for the same reason.
> Even when we put maven on the side, do you expect the user to download both
> f1.jar and f2.jar to support both features? If so, we still have the
> duplicating artifacts issue.
>
> Also thinking about OSGi, adding feature jars will be problematic too. If
> it's just a descriptor, then adding a feature just pulls into the contained
> module bundles.

I'm not seeing the problems you're hinting at, could you be more specific or
give concrete examples?

   ...ant